Saturday, January 26, 2013
The Legacy Endures
The windstorm of 1887 destroyed the original Church of the Ascension, but it did not stop the members, who immediately began making plans for a new building. With Ernest A Coxhead as architect, and under his supervision, the parishoners did the bulk of the building of the new church themselves. At a cost of $5000.00, the foundation was constructed with boulders hauled up from Little Santa Anita Canyon, while some of the rest of the structure was made of douglas fir. Although the interior was not yet complete, the first service in the "new" church was held on November 11, 1888. Fanny Hawks was responsible for decorations, which included ferns and evergreens from her own gardens. Thanks to the dedication of Miss Frances Hawks and her fellow parishoners, the church was rebuilt, and thrives to this day.
(Source: The History of a Parish, by Catherine Turney)