Sunday, September 30, 2012
Carlton J. Pegler Home
This was the home of Carlton J. Pegler, his wife Mabel, and their three sons. Carlton, the son of John Carlton (J.C.) and Mary Pegler, came from England (via Iowa) with his family in 1880, when Carlton was about 7 years old. He helped his father develop the orange groves on the family ranch, and also managed the Arbolita Ranch, a nearby orange grove owned by a Mr. Blair.
In 1898 Carlton married Mabel Eva Robinson, originally from Massachusetts, and the daughter of William Robinson. The Robinsons' house on Baldwin was the community's first post office, and Mabel was the city's first female postmistress. According to census records, the couple had three children, all boys, named Harold, Ernest, and Donald.
The Peglers must have been a close-knit family. Carlton and Mabel's home, originally a one-story house, was not far from Carlton's parents' home. Once Carlton and Mabel had their own ranch, he continued to help his father with the family farm, while developing his own grove. Additionally, by 1920, William Robinson had passed away, and Mabel's mother Sarah was living with the family.
In 1914, Carlton Pegler became the City Treasurer of Sierra Madre. It appears that the Peglers may have moved from this house sometime between 1930 and 1935. In 1950, when the Annals of Early Sierra Madre was published, Mr. Pegler still held the City Treasurer position.
Carlton Pegler passed away in December of 1958, at 85 years old. His wife, Mabel, passed away in August of 1964, at the age of 87.