Sunday, August 12, 2012
Old North Church
The Old North Church, built in 1890, is part of the Sierra Madre Congregational Church. The church began as a Sunday School in 1882, and met in the original one-room schoolhouse at the corner of Hermosa and Live Oak (now Orange Grove).
Following a few years of informal church services, the First Congregational Church of Sierra Madre was established in 1886, with Mrs. Nathaniel C. Carter as one of the 13 founding members. The Old North Church was their original church building. Their second, and current, building was built across the street in 1928. But that's a photo for another day.